Below are the courses we currently offer. To book on to a course, select the 'Book a Course' tab above. If you would like to know more or have any questions about our courses please email our team email@example.com or call 01442 864966.
Caring for someone with a long term illness or disability 6 hours over 2 sessions
Be the lion within! - Supporting someone with a long term illness or disability can be physically and emotionally tiring, that why it’s important that your own wellbeing is managed. This two-part course will help you reflect on your own situation and discuss factors that may affect your personal life. You’ll also explore the policies that are in place to support carers and learn strategies to better manage your own wellbeing.
- To understand the social and legal context of carers in society.
- To understand the personal impact of caring and its effect on aspects of an individual’s life.
- To be able to reflect on how your own wellbeing can be promoted.
- To be able to identify resources which can support carers and the barriers which might restrict a carer’s access to support.
Daring to dream 3 hours over 1 session
Achieve your dreams! Everyone has dreams, but reaching them can sometimes be tricky. On this short course learn how to set effective and achievable goals to help you reach your dreams. Explore how to think creatively to overcome challenges that may get in the way of you achieving your goals.
- To develop the capacity to ‘dream’ and set achievable goals.
- To think creativity to overcome possible obstacles and challenges.
Five steps to wellbeing 3 hours over 1 session
Explore each aspect of the five ways to wellbeing and what you can add into your everyday life to improve your emotional and mental wellbeing. Also, discover what steps can be taken for when you're not feeling okay.
- To understand what the five ways to wellbeing are and how you can add them into your daily life.
- To understand the psychological and physiological working of how the five ways can improve your wellbeing.
Introduction to addictions and recovery 3 hours over 1 session
Addiction can take many forms - from substance misuse to addictive behaviours - the common factor is that an addiction can have a negative impact on a person's health and wellbeing. Examine the changes you can make in your world to move towards addiction recovery, learn how to make good choices and deal with the triggers that may set you back.
- To understand the definition of addiction and the different models of addiction.
- Explore what addiction treatment is and what is effective.
- Learn what resources of help and information are available in your local area.
Learning for wellbeing 3 hours over 1 session
This is a great introductory course for students who are new to the college and want to discover ways to improve their emotional and mental wellbeing. You’ll gain a better understanding of what aspects make up wellbeing and discover how learning can have a positive effect on your wellbeing.
- To understand how learning can help improve your wellbeing.
- To understand the physiological and psychological aspects of wellbeing.
- To identify methods of improving wellbeing.
Living with a long term physical health need 3 hours over 1 session
30% of the UK population have a long term physical health need according to the department of Health (2011); this includes diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome and heart disease. This short course provides you with the knowledge to better understand how physical symptoms can affect your wellbeing and suggests different skills you could use to manage your own physical health need.
Topics of discussion include: pain management, pacing and goal setting.
- Understand how living with a long term physical health need can impact on your wellbeing.
- Learn how physical symptoms can play a role on your wellbeing.
- Develop new skills and confidence to manage your own health need.
Mindfulness for daily living 9 hours over 3 sessions
‘Mindfulness is a way of befriending ourselves and our experience.’ – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Break away from the cycle of negative thinking, critical thoughts and anxiety about the future. Over three sessions you will learn how to live in the ‘here and now’, as you step out of your normal thinking, giving you the opportunity to see the world around you differently.
- Understand what mindfulness is.
- To be aware of the benefits of mindfulness practice.
- To learn different mindfulness practices and to understand how they can be incorporated into daily life.
Pain explained 3 hours over 1 session
Have you ever wondered what ‘pain’ actually is and how it affects your total wellbeing? In this session we will look at how pain responses are produced by the brain, how when you have an injury the autonomic motor and immune systems responds and why pain can continue after tissues have had plenty of time to heal. You will learn that everyone is different!
- Gain a deeper understanding of perseistent pain.
- Learn how to manage persistent pain.
Pressures of daily living 3 hours over 1 session
‘Under pressure you can win with your mind.’ – Tiger Woods
This course will help you identify the pressures in your everyday life and explores how maladaptive (negative) behaviours can be problematic to your health. You’ll develop practical skills that can be used to deal with daily pressures which can improve your psychological strength to cope with stress and hardships you may face in the future.
- To understand what maladaptive (negative) behaviours are.
- To identify pressures in everyday life and understand what practical skills can be used to overcome them.
- To understand resilience and the ten ways to build resilience.
Self-compassion for everyday life 3 hours over 1 session
Learn about the importance of self-compassion and how it can be used to improve your emotional and mental wellbeing. Discover new toold to help you learn to be self-compassionate and use them in your everyday life.
- Recognise how self-compassion can enhance wellbeing.
- Learn how to practice self-compassion at home and in your everyday life.
Sleeping well 3 hours over 1 session
Tired of getting a bad night’s sleep? Good quality sleep is crucial for living a healthy lifestyle, although aspects in life can sometimes prevent you getting a good night’s sleep. This course looks at the different stages of sleep, as well as the physiological and psychological benefits sleep has on functioning. You will also explore different strategies that can be used at home to improve your sleep.
- To understand the psychological and physiological benefits of sleep.
- To learn strategies to improve your sleep.
Setting your learning goals 3 hours over 1 session
Are you new to New Leaf College? Some students find it beneficial to set up a learning plan, during their time with the college, as it’s great way to set learning goals and identify how to reach them. In this workshop you will learn about the college, the courses available and how the college can support you with your learning plan.
Understanding anxiety 3 hours over 1 session
Experiencing anxiety is normal for daily living, but when this anxiety happens often and causes you to feel nervous or upset it can become a problem. During this short course you will gain knowledge of what anxiety is and the methods that can be used outside of the course to better manage your own situation.
- To understand what anxiety is.
- To understand what methods can be used.
Understanding depression 3 hours over 1 session
Depression is often more than feeling unhappy or sad, and it can affect different aspects in your life. This course helps you understand the psychological, physiological and biological causes of depression, whilst exploring effective strategies for each of the triggers to better manage depression.
- To understand what depression is.
- To understand what methods can be used.
Understanding stress 3 hours over 1 session
Stress is a reaction that is becoming more prevalent in today’s fast paced society. This short course will increase your knowledge of what the effects of stress are on you psychologically and physiologically. You’ll also explore the practical ways to reduce and manage the stress in your life.
- To understand what stress is and what are the common causes and signs of stress.
- To become aware of coping strategies for stress and how students can apply them to their own lives.
Wellbeing and creativity 3 hours over 1 session
‘Creativity is contagious, pass it on.’ – Albert Einstein
Creativity isn’t just about making things, but also a way of thinking. On this short course you will see how creative thinking can be used to problem solve and improve your wellbeing. You’ll try out new techniques that will inspire you to become more creative in your everyday life.
- Gain practical experience of taking part in creative exercises.
- To learn about using creativity to improve wellbeing.
- To unlock creative potential.