Below are the courses we currently offer. To book on to a course, select the 'Book a Course' tab above. If you would like to know more or have any questions about our courses please email our team email@example.com or call 01442 864966.
Caring for someone with a long term illness or disability 6 hours over 2 sessions
Be the lion within! - Supporting someone with a long term illness or disability can be physically and emotionally tiring, that why it’s important that your own wellbeing is managed. This two-part course will help you reflect on your own situation and discuss factors that may affect your personal life. You’ll also explore the policies that are in place to support carers and learn strategies to better manage your own wellbeing.
- To understand the social and legal context of carers in society.
- To understand the personal impact of caring and its effect on aspects of an individual’s life.
- To be able to reflect on how your own wellbeing can be promoted.
- To be able to identify resources which can support carers and the barriers which might restrict a carer’s access to support.
Daring to dream 3 hours over 1 session
Achieve your dreams! Everyone has dreams, but reaching them can sometimes be tricky. On this short course learn how to set effective and achievable goals to help you reach your dreams. Explore how to think creatively to overcome challenges that may get in the way of you achieving your goals.
- To develop the capacity to ‘dream’ and set achievable goals.
- To think creativity to overcome possible obstacles and challenges.
Developing life skills 6 hours over 2 sessions
Want to take control of your life?
This course provides an opportunity for self-reflection as you learn about self-esteem and the importance of setting boundaries. Explore how setting goals, financial planning and time management can benefit your wellbeing whilst taking control of your life.
- To understand boundaries and what self-esteem means.
- To understand and explore SMART goal setting.
Learning for wellbeing 3 hours over 1 session
This is a great introductory course for students who are new to the college and want to discover ways to improve their emotional and mental wellbeing. You’ll gain a better understanding of what aspects make up wellbeing and discover how learning can have a positive effect on your wellbeing.
- To understand how learning can help improve your wellbeing.
- To understand the physiological and psychological aspects of wellbeing.
- To identify methods of improving wellbeing.
Living with a long term physical health need 3 hours over 1 session
30% of the UK population have a long term physical health need according to the department of Health (2011); this includes diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome and heart disease. This short course provides you with the knowledge to better understand how physical symptoms can affect your wellbeing and suggests different skills you could use to manage your own physical health need.
Topics of discussion include: pain management, pacing and goal setting.
- Understand how living with a long term physical health need can impact on your wellbeing.
- Learn how physical symptoms can play a role on your wellbeing.
- Develop new skills and confidence to manage your own health need.
Mindfulness for daily living 9 hours over 3 sessions
‘Mindfulness is a way of befriending ourselves and our experience.’ – Jon Kabat-Zinn
Break away from the cycle of negative thinking, critical thoughts and anxiety about the future. Over three sessions you will learn how to live in the ‘here and now’, as you step out of your normal thinking, giving you the opportunity to see the world around you differently.
- Understand what mindfulness is.
- To be aware of the benefits of mindfulness practice.
- To learn different mindfulness practices and to understand how they can be incorporated into daily life.
Pressures of daily living 3 hours over 1 session
‘Under pressure you can win with your mind.’ – Tiger Woods
This course will help you identify the pressures in your everyday life and explores how maladaptive (negative) behaviours can be problematic to your health. You’ll develop practical skills that can be used to deal with daily pressures which can improve your psychological strength to cope with stress and hardships you may face in the future.
- To understand what maladaptive (negative) behaviours are.
- To identify pressures in everyday life and understand what practical skills can be used to overcome them.
- To understand resilience and the ten ways to build resilience.
Sleeping well 3 hours over 1 session
Tired of getting a bad night’s sleep? Good quality sleep is crucial for living a healthy lifestyle, although aspects in life can sometimes prevent you getting a good night’s sleep. This course looks at the different stages of sleep, as well as the physiological and psychological benefits sleep has on functioning. You will also explore different strategies that can be used at home to improve your sleep.
- To understand the psychological and physiological benefits of sleep.
- To learn strategies to improve your sleep.
Setting your learning goals 3 hours over 1 session
Are you new to New Leaf College? Some students find it beneficial to set up a learning plan, during their time with the college, as it’s great way to set learning goals and identify how to reach them. In this workshop you will learn about the college, the courses available and how the college can support you with your learning plan.
Using creativity for wellbeing 3 hours over 1 session
‘Creativity is contagious, pass it on.’ – Albert Einstein
Creativity isn’t just about making things, but also a way of thinking. On this short course you will see how creative thinking can be used to problem solve and improve your wellbeing. You’ll try out new techniques that will inspire you to become more creative in your everyday life.
- Gain practical experience of taking part in creative exercises.
- To learn about using creativity to improve wellbeing.
- To unlock creative potential.
Understanding anxiety 3 hours over 1 session
Experiencing anxiety is normal for daily living, but when this anxiety happens often and causes you to feel nervous or upset it can become a problem. During this short course you will gain knowledge of what anxiety is and the methods that can be used outside of the course to better manage your own situation.
- To understand what anxiety is.
- To understand what methods can be used.
Understanding depression 3 hours over 1 session
Depression is often more than feeling unhappy or sad, and it can affect different aspects in your life. This course helps you understand the psychological, physiological and biological causes of depression, whilst exploring effective strategies for each of the triggers to better manage depression.
- To understand what depression is.
- To understand what methods can be used.
Understanding stress 3 hours over 1 session
Stress is a reaction that is becoming more prevalent in today’s fast paced society. This short course will increase your knowledge of what the effects of stress are on you psychologically and physiologically. You’ll also explore the practical ways to reduce and manage the stress in your life.
- To understand what stress is and what are the common causes and signs of stress.
- To become aware of coping strategies for stress and how students can apply them to their own lives.