Making Sense of Voices
11/01/202213:30 – 16:30
Online Zoom Spring 2022
New Leaf College
About the course
“Voices are not a sign madness but a reaction to problems in their lives that they couldn’t cope with…that the voices talk about problems they haven't dealt with- and that they therefore make sense” Marius Romme et al (2009)
This two-part course is for those interested to learn more about the experience of hearing voices that others cannot. Together we will develop a greater understanding of this experience, consider explanations, and cultivate a compassionate approach to acceptance and recovery.
- Understand Hearing Voices from the Hearing Voices Network perspective
- Consider ways of accepting voices
- Explore coping strategies when living with voices
This course takes place over six hours hours in two sessions.
If the course is delivered face-to-face in one of our venues, please check our venues page for travel information and facilities. Co-production is at the heart of the college and a vital part of our work includes using your feedback to ensure our courses are beneficial for all. Please allow some extra time to provide feedback when planning your journey.
If the course you would like to join is being delivered through Zoom, and you are new to Zoom, it may help to consider joining our 'getting comfortable with Zoom' workshop.
For all Zoom courses, please prepare by:
- Using a notepad/paper and a pen during the session
- Using a PC, tablet or any mobile device to access Zoom via the link in the email. If you are using a tablet or phone, you may need to download the Zoom app.
- Using the link 5-10 minutes before the course is due to start to ensure that Zoom is working. Once you have logged in, you will be sent to a waiting room, where the tutor will acknowledge you and let you in to the main room. Please refer to the Zoom guide that will be sent in the confirmation email.
- Reading our Zoom guide for more information about how to make the most out of the session and for technical support
For everyone’s safety, please ensure your display name on Zoom matches the name used to register for the course. You can watch this video on how to change your name on your PC, tablet or mobile device ahead of the course. Tutors are unable to accept anyone on the course whose name does not match the list of attendees and for ease of access, we would advise all students to do this before the course is due to start.