The role of the Student Council is to represent the voice of the students at the College.
As well as allowing students the facility to have their opinions heard, students can join and run the Student Council to help them grow in their personal recovery and develop their skills.
About the student council
Student Council members are all College students who have become Experts by Experience on the Student development programme. The Council exists to represent the feelings, interests, concerns and ideas of the student body. They do this through speaking to the students and voicing the students’ opinions on their behalf to the College. The Council works diplomatically to solve problems and allows the students to be represented fairly whilst making recommendations and encouraging the College to make positive change.
Some of the things that members of the Council will do include:
- Co-producing College policies and marketing material
- Promoting the College and its activities and encouraging students to participate
- Attending meetings, talking and listening to the student body, considering their views and concerns, and discussing these with the College staff, tutors and experts by experience
- Reviewing, commenting and making recommendations for improvement of the quality of the students’ experience; including evaluating courses and workshops
- Ensuring that all opportunities available across the college uphold recovery values, principles and quality objectives; including co-production in line with the College Fidelity Criteria
How can I help the Student Council?
You can help the Council and the College by:
- Voicing your opinions to the College by contacting us
- Completing an online survey for a course or workshop you have recently attended
- Completing the student survey on the website [coming soon]
- Attending an online student feedback meeting with members of the Council [TBA]
- Encouraging other students to voice their opinions to the College
- Becoming an Expert by Experience on the Student Development Programme and joining the Student Council
What will I gain by joining the Student Council?
By joining the Council, you will be helping the College to see the views of the students; and will be encouraging the College to make changes that benefit the students or meet the College’s Fidelity Criteria.
As an individual, you will also feel the benefits and rewards of joining the team, such as through the pleasure of giving back to others; which is one of the five ways to wellbeing. As such, this is a great opportunity for students to continue with their recovery and benefit by:
- Increasing your self-confidence and self-esteem
- Developing a sensitivity to and awareness of the needs and problems of others
- Improving your problem solving and communication skills
- Improving your leadership skills
- Developing a sense of responsibility and sharing the experience of decision making within the College
- Forming new relationships with staff members and other students
- Developing an understanding, respect and appreciation for cultural differences or similarities
If you would like to find out more, contact us via email or telephone: 01442 864966